Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Days 5-7 (Saturday, Easter Sunday, and Monday)

In the end, it was the end...

The Day Off
Friday afternoon through Saturday was my day off, and I managed to occupy my time without too much trouble. I finally met the doctor I was originally referred to, as he does rounds on weekends and he seemed great. He noted my Hemoglobin was a little down, so he suggested I get a bag of blood on Saturday to bolster me before being discharged. It could delay the time til a transfusion during my next outpatient stint.

So I got some blood Saturday afternoon as well. 

Eating, or a Lack Thereof...
My aversion was real. The pink trays just made me nauseated. If I saw them, smelled them, or even thought of them I wanted to retch. Sometimes some of the food on them was not even that bad--but the smell of the hot food was awful. Fortunately, I ordered some pretzels which helped a lot--I had two bags of them which meant I had 200% of my daily allowance of sodium (which may have actually helped with the chemo induced diarrhea).

Also, my doctor covering for the weekend just decided to put me on nausea medicine full time, so I got Zophran (sp?). 
  
Last Rounds of Chemo
The last rounds of chemo were delivered that night and the next morning. I took them without a hitch. 

Leaving
My nurse on Sunday was a nice guy. He took care of the chemo and worked to get me out of there as fast as possible.  I signed all my discharge papers and packed up. He called  "Transportation" to wheel me out in a wheelchair. I felt perfectly able to walk out on my own, but was willing to wait, at least for awhile...

After 15 minutes I asked if I could walk out on my own.

After 2o minutes I said I really wanted to go--that I could have walked home by then. 

After 25 minutes I said I was giving them 5 more minutes then leaving.

After 30 minutes, I walked out.

Jen met me and I was whisked home. Hurray!

Easter Dinner
I was hungry when I got home and proceeded to eat 3 1/2 pieces of leftover fried chicken from a picnic and 4 pieces of toast. That night Jen made a nice Easter dinner of ham, potato and green beans and I had some of that too. I paid for my gluttony with several unpleasant trips to the bathroom and immodium.

Monday
Went pretty well. I had a visit to my doctor's office set up to start neupogen and get my labs. 

As expected, my counts are dropping and will continue to drop until they hit bottom, probably around this coming weekend.  I will be going for neupogen shots every day, and will see my doctor on Friday. 

And for now--that is that. Rest and recovery.

I am glad to be home!

2 comments:

  1. Man, that Pelvic Bone needle thing sounds AWEFUL. (That one patient who apparently bit a nurse - might that have been you?)
    Glad to know that you are through round #3 and home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude I had the same Pelvic Bone test when i was sick with ITP. Oh my GOD. I was really to kill the doctor in charge of that test, and actually I'm more of a wimp than you -- I actually had to be knocked out after they couldn't get it done the first time.

    That... man, that's the most pain I've ever felt.

    ReplyDelete